Friday, November 17, 2006

One Thing Before the Other Things

Before I get into the four ways we often try and take control I realized there is an important preface to the discussion. The freedom I will advocate in these four areas can only work where there is a whole-hearted committment to the mission of making disciples (and by that I mean bringing people into a relationship with Christ who did not previously have one and journeying together through the rest of life toward Christlikeness). The level of freedom I will advocate will inevitably cause problems if this committment is not present. If our focus is always Christ and the mission he has given us freedom has a chance, but if our focus shifts to anything else, including things that are about Christ (such as knowing a lot about Christ, serving others, spiritual disciplines, etc.), we are bound to abuse freedom. On with the show!

No comments: