Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I Hope I'm Wrong

So I haven't had anything to write about for a while (I know, you probably think that's been true since I started, but pretend to be nice!) and thus I haven't written. I was looking on the internet today and found something to write about.

If you know me very well you know that I have liked Erwin McManus for a long time. His book, "An Unstoppable Force" was one of the books that really had a big impact on me when I was in seminary. His talk, probably more than the book, on the barbarian way out of civilization is probably the only talk I've listened to more than four times. He is like a motivational speaker who really cares about the Kingdom of God more than anything else and doesn't soft sell the difficulty of following Christ. He really is just an amazing guy.

Then this afternoon I went to Mosaic's website (the church he's lead pastor of) to see about listening to a recent sermon of his and noticed a link to connect to "our lead pastor's new website." So I clicked on it out of curiosity and looking through it scares me. There have been too many Christian leaders who have started out great, obtained a ginormous head, and then either started to just tell people what their itching ears want to hear or do something to royally screw up their ministry. When you go to the website it has the categories: the leader, the speaker, the artist, and the author. I started wondering if I was on the website of some up and coming superhero who would be gracing the big screen in a matter of months before moving on to Saturday morning cartoons.

I realize that we are all proud and we all self-promote to some degree, but I'd hope that's something we're trying to keep in check, not something we indulge. Only God knows where Erwin's heart is in this, and I greatly respect this guy, I just hope the fame doesn't overtake his passion for God's kingdom.

No comments: