Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I Like Totally Thought I'd Post This

I am sitting in a coffee shop right now and couldn't help overhearing a young woman who is speaking very loudly next to me. She's actually talking about how her cousin has been brought to faith in Christ and some other great things God is doing in her life. But I can only focus on one thing--how much she says "like."

Surely this is one of the great epidemics of our culture. This word serves no purpose and when people get to the point of using it as much as this young woman next to me it makes them sound less intelligent. It's really unfortunate because she clearly is very intelligent. And it's more ingrained than you might think. Read the following passage at a regular speed and see how normal it sounds.

"I am like totally like freaking out. It has been such a like busy week, and like I like just can't find any time to like sleep. I like feel like I will never be myself again. And like, I like, really like need to find like some time to like slow down. It's just like so like crazy."

In three and a half lines like was used 15 times and it doesn't even sound weird!

1 comment:

Cory said...

Prof. O'D. called me out on this in college, which I'm most thankful for. I worked terribly hard to get it out of my vocab, (it's still there sometimes) and it's now my pet peeve when talking with people...especially colleagues at work. So unprofessional.